26 February in

February Reads

Another month down, another month of reading completed. I've discussed this with some fellow book bloggers and we've all agreed that February hasn't probably been as full of reading lots of books as we would have liked to have. However, putting this post together I've realised I'm now over 10 books into the year. I don't know whether it's because of how short February is compared to other months, feeling like it gets swept under our feet quicker than we think it does. 

However, with that in mind I have loved all of the books I have read this month apart from one which I have added to the bottom as the one I just couldn't get into this month, I'm not sure why it's been that way but still good to share the good ones I have read. So with all introductions aside let's get cracking with more book reviews this month!

Ctrl, Alt Delete: How I Grew Up Online by Emma Gannon 
I'm a mahoosive fan of Emma, that's both her IG account, her incredibly motivating podcast and her blog, her book was something I have been dying to read since it's release in 2016. Emma writes a book containing so much of my history with the internet, from the height of MSN wish I believe was still around to a certain extent to the rise in online dating apps. 

I think Emma has an incredible way of writing and being able to grab the attention of our generation, I couldn't put it down and have been telling all of my favourite bloggers to make sure they read it sometime this year. I can't wait to keep hold of this book and share it with my children when they're growing up, we've experienced so much in my lifetime and Emma captured it all. Would love to see more books written by her for sure!

Beautifully Broken Things by Sara Barnard 
This book was a surprise favourite with me during February, I was gifted it as part of a collaboration with My Kinda Book at the end of 2016 and I was surprised about how much I got into it. It focuses on the friendship between two girls, Caddy and Rosie that quickly become a trio.when new girl Suzanne comes along. As we realise of Suzanne's past and her presence becoming more of an influence on Caddy, Caddy begins to see how much fun a little trouble can be and worth risk taking. Caddy wants to be more like Suzanne, it's something we've all done at some point growing up so I found I could really relate to this.

Knowing what wasn't around the corner at the end of the plot was really heartbreaking. It definitely made me want to text all of my friends just to notify that I loved them. I would definitely read this over and over again, I enjoyed the book that much. 



Where I Am Now by Mara Wilson 
I remember purchasing this just after Christmas as I loved watching Mara in Matilda growing up and is easily one of my favourite films to watch. This book is a collection of her life growing up as a famous child actor, the pressures, the highs and the lows of the entire experience. There is so much I have learnt about Mara, including her difficulty with Mental Health and the loss of her mum to cancer. I felt like she completely opened up in this book and found it an insightful read, I couldn't put it down as I started and particularly enjoyed the chapter when she wrote a letter to her character, Matilda. 

Death On Toast by John Townsend 
As part of the Reading Rampage challenge for young people that's going to start taking place from March my school have asked whether I'd like to get involved by reading some of the books on the list. I was given this short story to begin with and managed to complete it within an hour, it had a great quick pace to the storyline as well as it being quite interesting. It's full of dark humour and would be perfect for a child in Key Stage 3 (11+) to read. I didn't particularly enjoy it myself because of it's lower reading age.

The Leaving by Tara Alterbrando 
I just couldn't get into this book at all, it was very disappointing. 

Little Sister by Isabel Ashdown (sample) 
Thanks to my fellow book loving friend Emma she introduced me to a great site, Net Gallery and I have been absolutely loving it. I checked out this sample first and downloaded it on my kindle, after seeing such great reviews I could see why. It ends on a cliffhanger, wanting you to read more. What on earth happened to Daisy?! The 3 chapter sampler gave us a great introductions into the individual characters without giving too much away..

This month I attempted to read We All Looked Up by Tommy Wallach and I just couldn't get into the book at all unfortunately. This is the first book of 2017 that I haven't managed to finish, I wonder if anyone else has read this book and can tell me what they thought of it. 


What have you been reading this month? 




SHARE 54 comments

Add your comment

  1. Well done you for reading so many books - I really need to make more time to sit down with a good book as I love reading! You must be a super fast reader - 10 already! Some of them sound very interesting.

    Em

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks hun it's because I have so much time on my daily commute so I have a lot of time to sit and get through books! I am hoping it doesn't slow down though :)

      Emmie x

      Delete
  2. Ctr Alt Delete sounds great! Just sent a sample to my kindle. I'm doing goodreads challenge again this year but aiming for 80, 100 last year was too stressful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you managed to enjoy the sample of Ctrl Alt Delete and you'll read the entire book, it's definitely worth it! I'm just doing what I can, aiming for 100 but I don't think I'll reach it! Hope I'll do better than previous years though! :)

      xx

      Delete
  3. I've just ordered Ctr Alt Delete and I'm really looking forward to reading it after hearing such good things. Great post, thanks for giving me some great reading suggestions!

    Maddie | thatplacecalledhere.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming along to my blog Maddie, glad it gave you some reading suggestions! :D woohoo!

      xx

      Delete
  4. I've been mainly reading travel books. I'm off to Iceland soon so I've been reading a travel guide to there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah lovely, Iceland looks incredible and definitely a place on my bucket list! xx

      Delete
  5. It's always great to read good book recommendations, I get so stuck in my ways and choose covers that attract me mostly! I like the look of a few of these so thx!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Donna, me too! I love looking at what other people thought and then popping them onto my shopping list if I'm really interested! xx

      Delete
  6. Wow you read so much, I didn't even manage a book. I have just bought Ctrl, Alt Delete: How I Grew Up Online and I am so excited to read it x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rhian, I've been far more motivated this year to read than I ever have which is great so I'm hoping it won't die down! xx

      Delete
  7. What a great selection of books, we've just bough some for our holiday or would have invested in Ctrl, Alt Delete: How I Grew Up Online. We got some Mo Hayder books and Andy McNab ones

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah lovely, I'm on holiday in April so I'm putting a few books on my kindle ready!

      Delete
  8. i need to read that ctrl, alt, delete book. it's going to bring back so many memories

    ReplyDelete
  9. lovely name for your blog; seize it all than; then, some more is surely to arrive or not.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have to admit im not a big fan of reading. Im more of a music person.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Death on toast might be good for my eldest in a few years. I am sure she will love the dark humour in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it's quite good for a quick read, especially if the young person isn't confident or happy with lengthy books!

      xx

      Delete
  12. Such a lovely post I really enjoyed reading all of your reviews and it has inspired me to get reading on a regular basis again :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah thankyou so much for the comment and hope your able to get into reading more and enjoy it!

      Emmie x

      Delete
  13. I've been really poor at reading this month. I think I've read one book. Miss Peregrins home for perculiar children, Which I did enjoy but need to make more effort in March x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope March is a better month of reading for you, Miss Peregrine's is a fab book! Make sure you read the others in the series too!

      Delete
  14. I'm always looking for new books to read, so will definitely check some of these out :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah that's great hope it gave you lots of ideas for future reads!

      Delete
  15. So many good options!! I'm always looking for a good book, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah thanks Shannon, hope it helped with some ideas!

      Delete
  16. Most of these titles are completely new to me but some of them are interesting enough to add to my Amazon wishlish.

    ReplyDelete
  17. My books to read list is getting a bit short now so thanks for the recommendations. I particularly like the sound of the Mara Wilson one - I remember her in Matilda and miracle on 34th st and Mrs doubt fire and wondered why she never continued acting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes that's why I was drawn to it, I loved Mara Wilson in all of the films growing up so it was a definite interesting read!

      Delete
  18. What a fabulous collection of books you've got through.
    I fancy trying CTL, ALT Delete and the Mara Wilson autobiography the most.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Tanya, make sure you definitely check these books out! They are well worth it :)

      Delete
  19. An interesting selection! I keep meaning to pick up the Mara Wilson book

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do pick up the Mara Wilson book it's so bloody good!

      Delete
  20. These sound interesting. I have just started The Husbands Secret by Lianne Mioraty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOO I've heard a lot about this book, it will definitely be on my list ;)

      Delete
  21. I'm on 10 books, too, and I'm feeling like I'm powering through my to-read pile at the moment. Long may it continue. I listened to the audiobook of CRTL, ALT, DEL and it was great - Emma Gannon read it herself, it was so funny. x www.aimeeraindropwrites.co.uk x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah that's great, hope it continues for you too babe! I know it can be pretty difficult. Ah that's awesome, I need to listen to that during the summer I loved the book that much I'd love to see it again!

      Delete
  22. I'd be interested to read Mara Wilson's book and Cltr, ALt, Delete.... Em, can I borrow them please?! But in all seriousness, I've always wondered what happened to Matilda so can imagine it is a good read into what she has been up to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes course, I'm lending it my friend this weekend and then as soon as it's back it's all yours to enjoy! You'll love it babe :) xx

      Delete
  23. I've been listening to Emma Gannon's podcast and love it. I need to get her book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her podcast is one of my favourite things ever, it's so bloody good!

      Delete
  24. Desperate on some new reading material so this post is perfect! L x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou, hope it was really useful! x

      Delete
  25. Wow you have been very busy reading. Plan to finish up my book for February this week so I can start another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stella, I definitely read more than blogging atm (worth it though!) xx

      Delete
  26. I need to read more and you sold me with Ctl, Alt, Delete! It sounds really interesting and right up my street, might check out her Instagram while I'm at it too haha, thanks for sharing xxx

    The Frugal Teen | http://thefrugalteen.wixsite.com/thefrugalteen

    ReplyDelete
  27. I keep hearing about Ctrl, Alt, Delete, so I'm going to check it out. It sounds right up my alley!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm so curious about Ctrl, Alt, Delete - it's going straight on my wishlist!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I think Im going to have to pick up Ctrl, Alt, Delete. Seen so many people raving about it. Beautifully broken things also sounds really good. Might have to add it to my huge to read pile
    Beth x
    Mermaid in Disguise

    ReplyDelete

© Theatre & Tonic · THEME BY WATDESIGNEXPRESS